The organization to be called henceforth
the Beechy Public Library held their first meeting July
21, 1956. Application was made to the Outlook School Unit
to house the library in a classroom of the old Beechy school.
Permission was granted for a fee of $60 per month to pay
for light and heat.
A campaign to the various clubs and organizations
in the community for support garnered enough funds to send
for the first book order. Hardcover books could be purchased
for a dollar a book. People in the community also donated
their private book collections to the library. Mrs. Esther
Hooper was the first librarian.
In February 1958, the library board decided
to raise money to build a new library. A suitable lot was
provided by the Beechy Village Council. With personal financial
donations, suppers, raffles, bake sales and small grants,
enough money was realized to start the new library. A grand
total of $3600.00 was needed with $2000.00 up front.
The official opening of the new library took
place on Nov.5, 1959 at the library followed by a banquet
in the Legion Hall.
In 1967 the Wheatland Regional Library was
formed and Beechy Library's application for membership
was the third one accepted. The Wheatland Regional headquarters
is in Saskatoon and has a membership of over fifty libraries
The regional system has opened
the reading public to access of materials from all over