Perrin was born April 29, 1908 on the Perrin homestead
southeast of Maple Creek. The family ranch was located
on the base of the Cypress Hills
the age of 16, Pete hired on at the Matador Community
Pasture under George Valentine, the pasture manager,
and Jesse Perrin, foreman. Nine years later Pete married
the boss’s daughter, Mae Valentine.
began entering rodeos at the age of 16 and by 1925 he
was doing a little winning. The wild cow riding at the
Murraydale Stampede earned him a rawhide lariat, one
of his most treasured prizes.
1930s saw Pete entering more of the rough stock events.
He tried his hand at saddle bronc, bareback, cow riding,
calf roping and wild cow milking. During the early years,
wild cow riding was more common than today’s bull
was also active and successful as a pick-up man and a
rodeo clown during his rodeo career. Brother, Don Perrin,
was a stock contractor and Pete worked for Don at a number
of rodeos. In 1942 Pete contracted the pick-up job at
Regina rodeo. He hired several other hands, one being
local cowboy, Hugh Bovee.
was also known as “Hansom Hanna”, the rodeo
clown. He had a trick horse and entertained the
crowd with several acts to keep the rodeo fans entertained.
was employed at the Matador Community Pasture for 18
years, becoming foreman while brother Jess was manager.
In 1943 he purchased a spread of his own from Lawrence
Omach of Kyle. The headquarters of Omach’s ranch
on the Sough Saskatchewan River was originally known
as the Dug Out Camp where the famous “Q” outfit
the 1940s Pete was a director of the Saskatchewan Horse
Market Co-operative. He was responsible for gathering
and trailing meat horses from neighbouring farms and
ranches, some as far away as Wiseton and Riverhurst.
They were trailed south to the plant at Swift Current.
It is estimated that Pete delivered well over one thousand
head through these years, all of which were trailed.
time went on Pete took advantage of other opportunities.
In 1950 Pete sold the old “Q” Dug Out Camp
to Elvinus Hermanson and purchased the neighbouring ranch
from the Minor family. It was originally known as Cruickshank
Ranch, the 6T.
has been involved in many aspects of the cattle industry.
From 1963 to 1966 he served as the president of the Saskatchewan
Stock Growers Association. He has held a membership since
1930 and continues to attend SSGA functions.
represented the Province of Saskatchewan at the National
Cattlemen’s Association in Memphis, Tennessee in
1964. Pete and Mae received a certificate recognizing
them as honorary citizens of the State of Tennessee.
1973, Pete and Mae lived on a plantation in Basotu, Tanzania,
Africa where Pete was involved in agricultural development
on the plantation.
was inducted into the Stockman’s Hall of Fame in
Billings, Montana in 1981. He retired from ranching that
same year and moved to Kyle.
served on the local committee for several years and we
are proud to introduce him as our “Coteau Hills
Cowboy of 1990”.